About Zheng (Jonathan) Zhou
Zheng focuses on complex domestic and cross-border M&A and other corporate and financial transactions.
Jonathan has led numerous M&A projects, including acquisitions and sales of private companies for purchase prices ranging from billions of dollars to amounts below the HSR threshold, high profile sales and acquisitions of publicly traded companies, investments by private equity and sovereign wealth funds, carve-out divestitures by publicly traded companies, and joint ventures and other strategic partnerships.
Jonathan’s experience includes advising:
- Sonoco on its acquisition of the remaining equity interest in its joint venture with the WestRock Company, RTS Packaging, and one paper mill for $330 million.
- CarLotz on its sale to Shift Technologies.
- eBay on its acquisition of TCGPlayer.
- Sonoco on its $1.35 billion acquisition of Ball Metalpack.
- Western Union on the $910 million sale of Western Union Business Solutions to Goldfinch Partners and Baupost Group.
- Hewlett Packard Enterprise on its $925 million acquisition of Silver Peak and acquisition of Determined AI.
- Agilent Technologies on its acquisition of Resolution Bioscience for $550 million in cash at closing and up to an additional $145 million based on achieving future performance milestones; $1.17 billion acquisition of BioTek Instruments and its acquisition of ACEA Biosciences.
- Cinven on acquiring a majority stake in the Euro Techno Com Group from Carlyle.
- Entain in connection with DraftKings’ $22.4 billion and MGM’s $11 billion takeover offers.
- China Renaissance on Auto Services Group’s public listing through de-SPAC with Goldenbridge Acquisition Limited.
- CarLotz on its $827 million merger with Acamar Partners Acquisition Corp.
- CPP Investments on its participation in the acquisition of Virtusa Corporation.
- Google on numerous acquisitions, including its $2.6 billion acquisition of Looker Data Sciences, and acquisitions of MobiledgeX, Like.com, ITA Software, Skybox and DeepMind Technologies.
- Lowe’s Companies on its acquisition of Boomerang Commerce’s retail analytics platform.
- China International Capital Corporation on its acquisition of KraneShares.
- Keysight Technologies on its $1.6 billion acquisition of Ixia.
- ABB on its $1 billion acquisition of Power-One.
- A buyer consortium on its $1.9 billion acquisition of OmniVision Technologies.
- Open Text on its acquisition of Guidance Software.
- Henry Schein on the spin-off of the animal health business.
- Temasek on its acquisition of Syngia and investment in Ant Financial.
- China Investment Corporation on its investment in AES Corporation and subsequent exit and a number of co-investments in the US and Canada.
- TPG on various transactions in the US and China, including its investment in Uber.
- Warburg Pincus on its acquisition of Gabriel Brothers.
- Yinyi Group on its acquisition of ARC Automotive.
- Baidu on its acquisition of an internet company based in Brazil.
- Beijing Miteno Communications Technologies on its acquisition of Media.net.
- China Life Insurance Company on its acquisition of all of the shares held by Citigroup and IBM in Guangdong Development Bank.
- Several joint ventures and strategic partnerships in the fintech, mining, financial services and healthcare sectors.
Jonathan received his J.D., cum laude, order of the coif, from the University of Pennsylvania Law School, where he was an editor of the University of Pennsylvania Law Review. He received two graduate degrees from Duke University and his B.S. from Fudan University in Shanghai. Jonathan is fluent in English and Mandarin. He is admitted to the bar in the state of New York.