About Dr. Christoph Werkmeister
Global co-head of our data and technology practice and member of our information security committee, Christoph advises on strategic data and IT projects, and topical tech issues such as digital markets and AI regulation.
Christoph has helped design and implement numerous transformational technology projects, working across jurisdictions and at the intersection of our antitrust, transactions, regulatory and employment practices. He also has a longstanding track record in the telecoms sector, particularly regarding next-generation access and innovative business models.
Using his vast experience of dealing with disputes before regulators and courts as well as internal investigations, Christoph knows where the risks lie and provides pragmatic solutions. He has advised on some of the highest profile data and cyber cases, as well as on GDPR (fine) proceedings and data-related (mass) litigation.
Christoph also helps clients manage their data and IT governance, advises on new and emerging laws that have an impact on digital businesses and supports global M&A transactions, particularly those involving data- or technology-heavy targets.
Working with the Freshfields Lab, leading consulting firms and technical advisors, Christoph has successfully leveraged legal tech solutions to manage larger scale projects and helped companies implement standardised approaches to and software solutions for privacy compliance and data governance.
Christoph has published widely on the legal issues surrounding digitalisation and is co-author of several standard commentaries on the GDPR and telecoms regulation. He also teaches AI and data law at Dusseldorf and Bonn universities.
Having appeared in Global Data Review’s 40 under 40, Christoph is recognised as among the best in the upcoming generation of data lawyers. He was also named by JUVE as a rising star in telecoms law and as a leading individual by GDR.
- Advising leading automotive companies on their global data strategy, various data-driven use cases, the implementation of self-driving car technology in various jurisdictions, international data transfers, data protection contracts and the data protection aspects of connected vehicles and digital services.
- Representing companies in various GDPR fine and administrative proceedings and coordinating with authorities on codes of conduct and other official guidance for companies.
- Advising a multinational molecular diagnostics company on business critical data protection issues, the implementation of a Schrems II-compliance project and sector-specific health data protection.
- Advising a leading biotech company on GDPR compliance in the context of clinical trials.
- Representing a global insurance company in GDPR-related fine proceedings and the corresponding administrative proceedings.
- Advising Allianz on the worldwide digitalisation of its HR processes, and global data centralisation and outsourcing projects.
- Representing United Internet in major regulatory proceedings regarding wholesale internet access, and related civil and public law litigation.
- Advising United Internet and various investors on fibre buildout and 5G projects and collaborations, including dealing with regulators and representing the clients in subsequent litigatio.
Online and digital
- Advising a leading technology company on product-related data, ePrivacy and telecoms regulatory issues, including mass litigation and proceedings before regulators.
- Advising one of the world’s largest manufacturers of smartphones on a key enforcement and litigation risks of a strategic data project, as well as proposing potential counter-strategies and defences.
- University of Bonn, Germany (Dr iur)
- University of Cambridge, UK (LLM)
- Rechtsanwalt, Germany