About Eelco van der Stok
Eelco is a tax partner and heads Freshfields' tax practice in the firm's Amsterdam office.
He is regarded as a leader in the Netherlands tax market and acts regularly for corporates and private equity investors, across many business sectors.
In addition to his advisory work, Eelco leads on a number of investigation and litigation cases, often where tax interacts with other legal or economic issues (including fiscal State aid cases). He is ranked consistently Tier 1 in Chambers.
Eelco speaks German and English as well as his native Dutch.
- Advising AB InBev, the world’s largest brewer and owner of the Budweiser, Stella Artois and Corona brands, on the sale of Peroni, Grolsch and Meantime to Asahi Group Holdings for €2.55bn.
- Advising BG Group on the £47bn offer by Royal Dutch Shell, making it the largest announced transaction of 2015 and the largest ever takeover of a UK public limited company.
- Advising funds managed by Blackstone on the acquisition of Multi Corporation, a leading commercial developer of inner-city retail space in Europe and Turkey, owning or managing 56 malls across 13 European countries and comprising property development, investment, asset management and property management divisions.
- Advising Carlson Travel Holdings on its acquisition of the 45 per cent equity interest JPMorgan Chase & Co holds in CWT, a global leader in managing business travel, meetings and events, as a result of which Carlson will own 100 per cent of CWT, including two associated bond transactions.
- Advising Carlson Travel on its notes offering worth approximately $1bn and its $150m revolving credit facility. The offering included $415m of 6.75 per cent senior secured notes that are due to mature in 2023, €330m of senior secured floating rate notes that are due to mature in 2023, and $250m of 9.5 per cent senior notes that are due to mature in 2024.
- Advising and representing various US multinationals on tax-related state aid procedures initiated by the European Commission, including appeals with the European Courts.
- Advising JPMorgan Chase & Co regarding the financing and acquisition of (part of) the loan portfolio of Propertize, the former real estate division of SNS Reaal. Lone Star acquired Propertize together with its consortium partner, JP Morgan for an equity consideration of €895.3m. In addition Lone Star and JP Morgan paid a consideration of €2.35bn for the takeover by the Dutch State of the state-guaranteed medium term notes with an outstanding amount of €2.35bn. This is a very important transaction for the Dutch State.
- Leiden University, Netherlands
- Emory University, Atlanta, US
- Member of the Amsterdam Bar (advocaat)
- Member of the Committee on legislative proposals (Commissie wetsvoorstellen) of the Dutch Association of Tax Advisors
- Tax advisor (belastingadviseur)
- Teaches at the LLM programme of the International Tax Centre at Leiden University and the International Bureau for Fiscal Documentation’s International Tax Academy