About Peter Turner KC
English solicitor and avocat à la cour, Peter is a partner in our international arbitration practice group.
Appointed Queen's Counsel in 2015, he brings over 20 years of wide-ranging experience to arbitration. He has appeared as counsel and sat as arbitrator in over 150 proceedings under both ad hoc and institutional rules.
Peter is a consummate advocate and has represented clients in more than 40 witness hearings before arbitral tribunals, in particular in sectors ranging from energy and investment banking, to mining, engineering, construction and agro-industry.
An English-born speaker, Peter also speaks French and German.
- Representing a multinational utility company in relation to several long-term gas-sale agreements (gas-pricing reviews, volume and take-or-pay matters) involving European gas producers.
- Representing Cambodia in its first arbitration before ICSID brought against it by the subsidiary of a US power producer under the local investment law and the power purchase and implementation agreements in a dispute relating to the construction of a power plant in Phnom Penh.
- Representing Nippon Asahan Aluminium (NAA), a consortium of 11 Japanese industrial companies and trading houses and the Japanese government, on the potential dispute with the Indonesian government over the valuation of NAA’s majority stake in PT Indonesia Asahan Aluminium, owner of the Asahan Hydroelectric and Aluminium project in Sumatra.
- Representing Nomura in an arbitration against the Czech Republic over the failure of prominent Czech bank IPB, in which Nomura’s subsidiary Saluka was the dominant foreign investor.
- Representing a Japanese investor in an Energy Charter Treaty arbitration under the ICSID Rules relating to changes to a regulatory regime affecting its investments in the European renewable energy sector. This is only the third-ever investment treaty-arbitration commenced by a Japanese company.
- Christ’s College, University of Cambridge, UK
- Teaches international arbitration at Sciences Po, Paris, France