About Rhodri Thomas
Rhodri is experienced in litigation, arbitration and contentious regulatory matters, especially in the banking and sports sectors. He has a particular interest in cybersecurity, acting in both litigation and regulatory proceedings arising following cyber-attacks.
Rhodri has significant experience of financial services disputes involving complex structured products and investment vehicles, and has advised numerous clients in relation to global internal and regulatory investigations involving a wide range of different state and sector-specific regulators.
In addition, Rhodri specialises in sports disputes and has an LLM in sports law. He has advised a large number of national and international sports governing bodies, teams and individual athletes, and is an arbitrator of the Basketball Arbitral Tribunal, sitting on tens of arbitrations each year.
Rhodri joined the firm in 2005 and has worked in our London, Tokyo and Hong Kong offices.
- Acting for various clients in relation to enforcement investigations by the UK Financial Conduct Authority, Payment Systems Regulator and Information Commissioner’s Office.
- Advising a multinational corporation regarding a data breach involving regulatory investigations in 30 jurisdictions and collective action litigation in England.
- Acting for a football club, overturning a ban imposed by an international association for alleged breaches of financial fair play regulations.
- Advising the International Association of Athletics Federations on a review of its operations and finance.
- Acting for a leading private equity house in a joint venture dispute involving multinational litigation and arbitration proceedings.
- Lincoln College, Oxford University, UK (MA in history)
- De Montfort University, Leicester, UK (LLM)
- Solicitor-advocate, Higher Courts Civil, England and Wales
- Arbitrator of the Basketball Arbitral Tribunal