About Rhodri Thomas
Rhodri is experienced in litigation, arbitration and contentious regulatory matters, especially in the data and sports sectors.
He has a particular interest in cybersecurity and data privacy, acting in both litigation and regulatory proceedings following data related incidents.
Rhodri also specialises in sports disputes and regulation, and has an LLM in sports law. He has advised a large number of national and international sports governing bodies, teams and individual athletes, and is an arbitrator of the Basketball Arbitral Tribunal, sitting on tens of arbitrations each year.
Rhodri joined the firm in 2005 and has worked in our London, Tokyo and Hong Kong offices.
- Advising a multinational corporation regarding one of the world's largest data breaches, involving regulatory investigations in 30 jurisdictions and collective action litigation in England.
- Advising a large investment firm in relation to a state-sponsored cyber-attack designed to acquire intelligence and commercial data.
- Acting for various FA Premier League football clubs in litigation, arbitration and investigatory proceedings.
- Advising the International Association of Athletics Federations on a review of its operations and finance.
- Acting for a leading football club, overturning a ban imposed by an international association for alleged breaches of financial fair play regulations.
- Appearing before before various sports tribunals such as the Court of Arbitration for Sport, the Independent Appeal Committee of World Rugby, FA Premier League Rule X Tribunals, the UEFA CFCB Adjudicatory Chamber, and the Union Cycliste Internationale Arbitral Tribunal.
- Lincoln College, Oxford University, UK (MA in history)
- De Montfort University, Leicester, UK (LLM)
- Solicitor-advocate, Higher Courts Civil, England and Wales
- Arbitrator of the Basketball Arbitral Tribunal