About May Smith
May is a partner in our London tax team, with an international corporate tax practice that encompasses equity and debt issuances, IPOs, private and public M&A, joint ventures, funds structuring and reorganisations.
May’s work covers a range of sectors, including financial institutions, energy and natural resources, pharma and consumer goods groups. She also regularly advises private equity and investment funds (including on their management incentivisation arrangements). May also advises on financing transactions, and has increasingly been advising on the new and challenging tax issues for tech groups.
May’s experience includes advising:
- AstraZeneca on its $39bn acquisition of Alexion Pharmaceuticals
- Honeywell on the combination of Honeywell Quantum Solutions and Cambridge Quantum Computing
- RAC, CVC and GIC on the sale of a minority stake in the RAC, a leading motor breakdown assistance provider, to Silver Lake
- the administrators of Arcadia on the sale of Topshop, Topman, Miss Selfridge, Evans, Burton, Dorothy Perkins and Wallis
- General Atlantic on the acquisition of a stake of approximately 21 per cent in Gymshark, the fitness community and apparel brand in its first-ever fundraise, valuing the business at over £1bn
- Oxford University on its £4bn development partnership with Legal & General and subsequent agreements for Legal & General to finance and develop the new Life & Mind Building and the Begbroke Science Park
- Starbucks Corporation on its US$7.15bn global coffee alliance with Nestlé S.A.
- FIL Limited on the demerger of the Eight Roads global proprietary investment business from the Fidelity International financial services business
- Uber on its Clean Air Plan initiative in London
- BG Group on its acquisition by Royal Dutch Shell
- Magdalen College, University of Oxford, UK (BA (Hons) Modern History and Politics)
- Oxford Brookes University, UK (Graduate Diploma In Law)
- Oxford Institute of Legal Practice, UK (Legal Practice Course)
Solicitor, England and Wales