About Noah Rubins QC
Noah heads our international arbitration practice group in Paris as well as our global CIS/Russia dispute resolution practice group.
A US- and English-qualified, Russian-speaking lawyer, he has represented clients in nearly 100 arbitrations under ICSID, ICSID additional facility, ICC, AAA, SCC, VIAC, LCIA, ICAC, and UNCITRAL rules, including some 30 investment treaty disputes.
He specialises in construction and energy disputes, particularly upstream, pursuant to contracts and under the auspices of bilateral investment treaties.
Noah has practiced law in New York, Washington, Houston and Istanbul, and has also served as arbitrator in over 40 cases under ICC, LCIA, SCC, ICSID, VIAC, ICAC and UNCITRAL rules.
He speaks English, French and Russian fluently, and has a working knowledge of Spanish and Hebrew.
- Representing Inter RAO, one of Russia’s largest public energy companies, and its Georgian and Dutch subsidiaries in multiple consolidated commercial and investment proceedings against the Republic of Georgia and on a commercial arbitration against Corporación Eléctrica del Ecuador (CELEC EP), an Ecuadorian public entity.
- Representing East Mediterranean Gas and its foreign shareholders in four parallel arbitrations under ICC, CRCICA, ICSID and UNCITRAL rules against Egypt and its state-owned entities in relation to the breach by Egyptian authorities of contractual and investment-treaty obligations incurred in connection with the 'peace pipeline', which carries Egyptian natural gas to Israeli customers. A first award of nearly $300m was recently issued in our client’s favour.
- Representing Rusoro Mining in an ICSID arbitration arising out of the expropriation of gold mining rights by the government of Venezuela, which resulted in an award of over $1.2bn.
- Representing Total in an ICSID arbitration against Argentina in connection with its investments in exploration and production, electricity generation and gas transportation pursuant to the France–Argentina bilateral investment treaty, resulting in an award of $270m, the largest ever issued against Argentina.
- Advising the Karachaganak consortium of multinational oil companies in a range of disputes arising out of production-sharing agreement in Kazakhstan, including issues of tax stability and cost recovery.
- Representing the Republic of Kenya in an ICSID arbitration brought by WalAm under the dispute resolution clause of a licence to exploit geothermal energy issued under Kenya’s Geothermal Resources Act.
Admitted in New York, Texas, and the District of Columbia
Barrister (Employed) and QC, England & Wales