About Wolrad Prinz zu Waldeck und Pyrmont
Wolrad is patent litigator specialising in the intersection of competition and patent law.
He has extensive experience of complex patent proceedings. He regularly advises on multijurisdictional litigation strategies, particularly in relation to the assertion of standard-essential patents. Wolrad’s clients include multinationals in the telecoms, consumer electronics, pharma and biotechnology industries.
Before joining Freshfields, Wolrad worked at the Max Planck Institute for Intellectual Property, Competition and Tax Law in Munich, where he researched patent law, with a focus on biotech and genetic inventions.
From 2004 to 2008, he was programme director at the Munich Intellectual Property Law Center, where he was responsible for, among other things, its LLM IP programme.
During his LLM studies in Washington DC, he worked as judicial intern to the Hon Randall R Rader at the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Wolrad speaks German, English, French and Russian.
- Representing Ajinomoto in complex biotech patent litigation.
- Advising and representing Sony Mobile Communication during its defence of standard-essential patent assertions relating to telecommunication standards.
- Representing Elekta AB in patent vindication proceedings regarding patient positioning technology;
- Advising and representing Novartis during patent-enforcement proceedings relating to different active ingredients.
- Advising and representing BMS during enforcement proceedings against MSD relating to its patent-protected anti-PD-1 antibody for cancer treatment.
- Advising and representing a global technology company in a number of patent litigations, including defending it against standard-essential patent assertions and against the largest ever damages claim brought in patent infringement proceedings in Germany.
- Universities of Heidelberg and Munich, Germany
- George Washington University Law School, Washington DC, US (LLM IP)
- Rechtsanwalt, Germany
- Munich Intellectual Property Law Center (MIPLC) – faculty member and member of board of trustees
- AIPPI - Association Internationale pour la Protection de la Propriété Intellectuelle (International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property)
- European Patent Lawyers Association (EPLAW)
- GRUR - Deutsche Vereinigung für gewerblichen Rechtsschutz und Urheberrecht (German Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property)