About Lluís Paradell Trius
Lluís specialises in advising on commercial and investor-state arbitration, investment protection and management of political risk, as well as on the public international law aspects of transnational infrastructure projects, boundary and territorial disputes, treaty law and international environmental law.
He acts as counsel, representing investors and states in a large number of disputes under bilateral investment treaties across a variety of sectors, including hydrocarbons, banking and financial services, water, electricity, telecommunications, food distribution, mining and steel industries.
Lluís also advises clients in commercial arbitration matters. His most recent commercial arbitration cases include construction and engineering matters, gas-price review disputes and post-M&A controversies.
Further, Lluís has extensive experience of multijurisdictional disputes, provisional measures, and challenges to and enforcement of arbitration awards before domestic courts. He regularly acts in arbitrations under the ICSID, ICC, LCIA, Milan Chamber and UNCITRAL arbitration rules, and is often appointed as arbitrator.
Lluís speaks Spanish, English, French, Italian and Catalan.
- Advising a major oil company in an LCIA arbitration with the provider of mobile offshore drilling units relating to safety and engineering issues in an oil rig off the Libyan coast.
- Advising a telecommunications company in a post-merger dispute and ICC arbitration with a local partner in Brazil.
- Advising a hydrocarbon company in a gas-price ICC arbitration with the Algerian state-owned gas company Sonatrach.
- Advising the owners of a food importation and distribution business in two UNICTRAL and one ICSID additional facility arbitrations relating to the expropriation of their business by the Venezuelan government.
- Advising a leading hydrocarbons company on the expropriation of its local assets in a Latin American state, including ICSID arbitration and litigation in various jurisdictions, which resulted in the largest settlement in an investment dispute to date.
- University of Cambridge, UK (degree in international relations; PhD in public international law)
- University of Brussels, Belgium (European law)
- University of Barcelona, Spain (Spanish law)
- Admitted to the Italian and Spanish Bars
- International Law Association
- American Society of International Law
- Club Español del Arbitraje
- Arbit-Italian Forum for Arbitration and ADR
- Taught international law of natural resources at University College London, UK, and foreign relations law at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra of Barcelona, Spain