About Thomas McGrath
Tom’s practice covers all aspects of EU and UK competition law, including merger control, foreign investment, antitrust and market reviews.
He has particular experience in complex, cross-border M&A, having worked extensively on the phase I / II merger control aspects of a range of transformational deals before the UK Competition and Markets Authority, European Commission and other regulators as well as challenging foreign investment and national security reviews.
Tom has advised clients across a broad range of sectors, including agrochemicals, air transportation, consumer goods, industrials, media, pharmaceuticals, private equity and telecommunications. He is listed as a Future Leader by Who’s Who Legal and an antitrust MergerLinks Rising Star.
- Coupa on its pending $8 billion sale to Thoma Bravo.
- Aon in relation to the EU merger control aspects of its $29.9bn merger with Willis Towers Watson, securing clearance at Phase II.
- Rentokil in relation to the UK merger control aspects of its successful acquisition of Cannon Hygiene, securing clearance at Phase II.
- Connect Bidco consortium (Apax, Warburg Pincus, CPPIB and OTPPB) in relation to the global merger control aspects and UK Government approval, subject to national security undertakings, of its £2.6bn acquisition of Inmarsat.
- Deloitte in relation to the CMA’s market study on statutory audit.
- A chemicals company in relation to the global merger control aspects of its €7.6bn acquisition of significant components of Bayer’s seed and crop protection businesses and related assets, which Bayer divested ahead of its planned acquisition of Monsanto.
- Johnson & Johnson in relation to the global merger control aspects of its $30bn acquisition of Actelion.
- AB InBev in relation to the global merger control aspects of its $106bn acquisition of SABMiller.
- BG Group in relation to the global merger control aspects of its €65bn acquisition by Shell.
- Holcim in relation to the EU merger control aspects of its $43bn merger of equals with Lafarge.
- Solicitor, England and Wales
- Member of the Brussels bar (A List)
- Graduate Diploma in Law and Legal Practice Course, BPP Law School, London: 2009-2011
- BA Modern History, St John's College, University of Oxford: 2006-2009