About Mary Lehner
Mary is a partner in our antitrust, competition and trade group based in Washington, DC.
Mary focuses her practice on representing clients before the FTC, the DOJ, and State Attorneys General on the antitrust aspects of M&A, joint ventures, distribution and intellectual property arrangements, and other competitive conduct.
Before joining Freshfields, Mary served as an advisor to two FTC Chairs, providing counsel on antitrust investigations, enforcement actions, policy initiatives, public relations, and congressional strategies. Prior to her role in the Chairman’s office, Mary oversaw antitrust merger investigations as a lead attorney in the FTC’s Bureau of Competition.
Mary serves on the Steering Committee of GCR’s Women in Antitrust annual conference, has participated as a panelist in Women’s Competition Network and ABA Women in Deal Work events, and is a leader of the Freshfields US Diversity & Inclusion Committee. She is also a HALO Champion (supporter of Freshfields' LGBT initiative).
- Advised AstraZeneca on its successful $39bn acquisition of Alexion including securing unconditional clearance in more than 20 antitrust and foreign direct investment jurisdictions.
- Starbucks Corporation on its $7.15bn global coffee alliance with Nestlé.
- Johnson & Johnson on various transactions on an ongoing basis, including its $30bn acquisition of Swiss biotech company Actelion Pharmaceuticals; its $3.3bn acquisition of Vogue International LLC; and the $4bn sale of Ortho Clinical Diagnostics, a leading diagnostic technology and manufacturing company.
- Novartis AG on the $5.4bn sale of its animal health business to Eli Lilly, a matter closely scrutinized before clearance by the FTC.
- United Airlines on a number of joint ventures and other business opportunities.
- JD, The University of Chicago Law School.
- BA, College of William & Mary.
- Admitted to practice in the District of Columbia and the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Actively participates in the American Bar Association’s leadership.
- Frequent speaker at ABA programs.
- Currently vice chair of the ABA Antitrust Section’s Corporate Counseling Committee.
- Formerly a vice chair of the ABA Antitrust Section’s Mergers & Acquisitions Committee.