About Amani Khalifa
Amani is a counsel in the dispute resolution group and an arbitration specialist.
She has handled several large and complex construction disputes relating to projects throughout the MENA region and involving major real-estate developments for housing, retail, education, leisure, airfields and radar stations. She has been recognised in Legal 500 as a ‘thorough, impressive and superb lawyer’ who ‘digs deep and never disappoints’. The directory also highlighted her ‘exceptional ability to translate procedural and cultural issues’. She has been recognised as a leader in arbitration by Who’s Who Legal.
She is an arbitrator on the basketball arbitral tribunal, an independent tribunal recognised by FIBA and an anticorruption hearing officer of the Tennis Integrity Unit. Amani also sits frequently as arbitrator in infrastructure disputes throughout the MENA region.
A sample of Amani’s recent experience includes advising:
- *An international building consortium in a US$230m construction arbitration under a FIDIC-form contract against a Saudi employer, involving office, residential and retail properties.
- *An Emirati state-owned real estate development company seeking the annulment of a US$300m arbitral award before the Dubai Courts.
- *A major regional contractor in a US$50m DIAC arbitration under a FIDIC-form contract.
- *A leading Egyptian contractor in a US$20m dispute against a German civil engineering company arising from the implementation of a major infrastructure project following the floatation of the Egyptian pound.
- *A Middle Eastern contractor in a construction arbitration under a FIDIC form contract against an Egyptian employer involving the finishing works for a hotel.
- *A US contractor on a delay and disruption claims submitted to arbitration in respect of a major construction project in Afghanistan.
- *A Korean building consortium in mediation proceedings against an American institutional employer in a US$200m educational development.
- *An Egyptian state-owned entity in London-based UNCITRAL proceedings involving breach of contract claims relating to the privatisation of a large industrial facility.
- *A Ukrainian state agency against a Middle-Eastern state agency in a dispute arising out of a construction and technology transfer agreement in the space industry.
*Lawyer experience prior to joining Freshfields.