About Eric Johnson
Eric Johnson is an experienced US-qualified senior associate based in our Hanoi office.
Eric specialises in international corporate transactions, with an emphasis on private equity, including M&A, joint ventures, fund formation and co-investments. Eric also has significant experience advising multinationals on equitisations (privatisations) of state- owned enterprises in Vietnam.
Prior to joining the Freshfields Vietnam team, Eric practised law in New York and Hong Kong at top international law firms.
Eric obtained a B.A. in Political Philosophy and English, magna cum laude, from New York University in 2006 and a J.D., magna cum laude, from Cornell Law School in 2011.
In 2019, Eric was elected to the board of governors of the American Chamber of Commerce in Hanoi.
- A private equity fund on a major acquisition in the real estate / hospitality sector in Vietnam.
- A private equity fund on the pre-IPO investments in two Vietnamese commercial banks.
- A private equity fund on the sale of an international school in Vietnam.
- HSBC on the full exit of its strategic investment in Techcombank.
- Stada on its block acquisition of shares in the Vietnamese pharmaceutical company, Pymepharco, taking it to a controlling 72 percent interest.
- A multi-national energy firm on the bid to acquire a strategic stake in PV Oil, the second largest petroleum distributor in Vietnam, from the Vietnam government.
- A multinational brewer on the US$5 billion bid for acquisition of Saigon Beer-Alcohol-Beverage Corporation, the largest brewer in Vietnam.
- Cornell Law School, JD (magna cum laude)
- New York University, BA. (magna cum laude)
- Admitted to practice in the State of New York
- Registered as a foreign legal practitioner with the Vietnamese Ministry of Justice
- Member of the Board of Governors of the American Chamber of Commerce in Hanoi