About Sebastian L. Fain
Sebastian focuses on M&A, activism defense and corporate governance. His experience is centered on domestic and cross-border M&A, including public company mergers and de-SPAC transactions, private equity acquisitions, joint ventures, complex business carve-outs and divestitures, hostile takeovers and defense, carve-out IPOs, spin-offs and split-offs. He also has experience representing clients in complex commercial agreements and in capital markets transactions, such as IPOs, secondary offerings, block trades, high-yield bond offerings and exchange offers.
In addition, Sebastian extensively counsels management and boards of directors on governance, activism and disclosure matters.
- London Stock Exchange Group on its acquisition of MayStreet.
- Euronav NV on its successful defense against a proxy contest launched by majority shareholder Compagnie Maritime Belge (CMB) in opposition of Euronav’s $4.2bn merger with Frontline.
- GXO Logistics on its recommended $1.2 billion cash and share offer for Clipper Logistics.
- Universal Music Group on the $4 billion acquisition by SPAC Pershing Square Tontine Holdings of 10% of UMG from Vivendi (amended and reassigned to an affiliate of the SPAC) and separation of UMG from Vivendi; previously advised UMG on the $3.36 billion sale of 10% of its equity by parent Vivendi to Tencent and related option for Tencent Music to acquire a piece of UMG’s China business.
- Cazoo on its $7 billion business combination with US SPAC AJAX I, including a concurrent $800 million PIPE.
- A major shareholder in ReNew Power on its $8 billion business combination with SPAC RMG Acquisition Corp. II.
- AstraZeneca on its $39 billion acquisition of Alexion Pharmaceuticals.
- The founder and CEO of Babylon on its $4.2 billion business combination with SPAC Alkuri Global.
- Clever Leaves on its business combination with SPAC Schultze Special Purpose Acquisition Corp.
- Global Brands on its $1.38 billion sale of a significant part its North American business to Differential Brands.
- Starbucks on its $7.15 billion global coffee alliance with Nestlé.
- Sears on the $900 million sale of its Craftsman brand to Stanley Black & Decker.
- Spectra Energy on its $28 billion merger of equals with Enbridge.
- Nasdaq on its $1.1 billion acquisition of International Securities Exchange from Deutsche Börse.
- Airgas on its $13.4 billion sale to Air Liquide.
XPO Logistics on its €3.24 billion acquisition of Norbert Dentressangle.
- BGC Partners and GFI Group on the $650 million sale of GFI's Trayport business to Intercontinental Exchange.
- JD, Harvard Law School
- AB in Biology, Harvard University
- Admitted to practice in the State of New York