About Mark Egeler
Mark is experienced in technology related litigation (IP, licensing, and regulatory) and regulatory matters, with a focus on data protection and cyber security. He has particular expertise in the TMT, life sciences, and financial services sectors.
Mark represents clients in contentious matters before the Dutch courts and supports clients during internal or regulatory investigations. Mark also advises on various aspects of regulatory compliance and global data- or technology-heavy M&A transactions.
Mark holds a position at the VU University of Amsterdam, where he lectures on litigation and data protection, and acts as a thesis supervisor. Mark is also co-author of the Kluwer Cyber Law Encyclopedia series for the Netherlands and has published in several Dutch legal journals. Mark frequently blogs for FreshfieldsTQ on topics such as (data protection) class actions and emerging (tech regulatory) legislation and speaks at various conferences such as the Benelux IDC Security conference.
- Representing a global platform technology company on a pending collective action for alleged breaches of data protection obligations.
- Representing a global technology company in a licensing dispute relating to wireless technology.
- Advising a global TMT company during internal and external (compliance) investigations.
- Representing a global pharmaceutical company in preliminary injunction proceedings before the Dutch court and obtaining an injunction in 26 Member States.
- Advising globally operating chemical companies during a global cyber crisis (ransomware).
- Advising Talpa Network (known for formats such as the Voice® and Big Brother®) on the proposed merger with RTL Netherlands.
- Advising Universal Music Group on its separation from Vivendi SE and the listing of its share capital on Euronext Amsterdam.
- Advising 1&1 Drillish on setting up the most modern 5G network in Germany
- Graduated cum laude at the VU University Amsterdam
- Advocaat, the Netherlands (admitted to the Amsterdam bar in 2014)
- Lecturer at the VU University Amsterdam
- AIPPI – International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property
- Association for Privacy Law - Vereniging Privacy Recht