About Alastair Chapman
Alastair is the global head of our antitrust, competition and trade group.
Based in London, Alastair also spends time working in Brussels and has previously worked in Washington DC. He has spent over two decades advising on all aspects of EU and UK competition law, and related commercial strategy. He has extensive experience representing clients before EU and national regulators and courts, and regularly leads complex cross-border transactions and investigations.
Alastair has significant expertise working closely with clients across a broad range of sectors including consumer products and retail, financial services, private equity, food service, and technology media and telecoms. He is equally at home counselling in-house lawyers and executives, and coordinating large multi-national teams. His commercial approach to what can be a technical area of law means that he provides clear and pragmatic advice, and is conscious that the law is often only one part of the solution.
A frequent speaker at international conferences, Alastair is also co-author of the horizontal arrangements chapter of Bellamy and Child: European Union Law of Competition.
- Advising viagogo on achieving a successful outcome with the CMA in relation to its acquisition of StubHub.
- Representing London Stock Exchange Group on its successful $27bn acquisition of Refinitiv.
- Advising Rentokil on its successful acquisitions of Terminix, Cannon Hygiene and Mitie Pest Control.
- Representing Tesco on the successful $10bn disposal of its Thai and Malaysian businesses; the unconditional clearance of its proposed merger with Booker; and the blocked merger of Sainsbury and Asda.
- Advising HSBC on a number of UK Financial Conduct Authority and Competition and Markets Authority investigations and studies.
- Representing a major financial institution on the global investigations into alleged forex manipulation.
- Trinity Hall, Cambridge, UK (law)
- Nottingham Law School, UK (LPC, with commendation)
- King’s College London, UK (postgraduate diploma in EC competition law, with distinction)
- Qualified in England and Wales, and admitted to the Roll of Solicitors in Ireland