About Laurent Bougard
Laurent is a senior associate in our antitrust, competition and trade practice group. His practice covers all areas of competition law, with a particular focus on global merger control investigations.
He has extensive experience with merger control regimes in Asia and Europe, and has advised clients on several complex Phase I and Phase II merger control investigations requiring remedies. His past experience has led him to act for clients active in various sectors, including financial sponsors, transport and industrials, among others. He also advises on EU and international trade defence questions, and has also acted for clients in the aviation sector on regulatory matters.
Laurent is fluent in English, Dutch and French.
- Advising London Stock Exchange Group on its successful $27bn acquisition of Refinitiv.
- Advising the Malaysia Airlines group on regulatory aspects of its global restructuring, including the first use of a UK scheme to reduce liabilities under aircraft leases.
- Advising Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec on its sale of Bombardier Transportation to Alstom and various other matters.
- Advising Deutsche Bank on the merger control and competition aspects of the Master Transaction Agreement for its Global Prime Finance business and its electronic equity trading business with BNP Paribas.
- Advising Suzano Papel e Celulose, the Brazilian paper and pulp manufacturer, on the global merger control aspects of its $11bn acquisition of rival Fibria Celulose, including in the EU, US, China and Brazil.
- Advising BASF on its €7.6bn acquisition of significant components of Bayer’s seed and crop protection businesses and related assets, which Bayer divested ahead of its planned acquisition of Monsanto.
- Advising Maersk Line on the merger control clearances of its acquisition of Hamburg Süd in over 20 jurisdictions including the EU, China and South Korea.
- Advising Liberty Global’s subsidiary Telenet on the competition law aspects of its headline $1.3bn ‘fixed-to-mobile’ acquisition of Belgium’s third-largest mobile network operator, BASE.
- KU Leuven, Belgium (LLM), magna cum laude
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, Philadelphia, US (LLM)
- Brussels Bar (A-list)
- Hong Kong (Registered Foreign Lawyer)