About Elizabeth K. Bieber
Elizabeth is counsel and head of shareholder engagement and activism defense in New York. Leza focuses on corporate governance issues, including activism and takeover defense preparedness. She also advises on debt and equity capital markets transactions, including IPOs, SPACs and de-SPACs.
Leza advises boards of directors and management on governance and crisis management, including stakeholder engagement; sustainability trends; board and disclosure issues, including director independence, board and committee structure, securities law compliance, board leadership structures, board composition, listing standards, shareholder proposals, annual meetings; ESG issues; proxy season trends; and succession planning.
Leza is a recognized thought leader on governance and activism matters and was appointed to the editorial board of Corporate Governance Advisor. She recently appeared on CNBC to discuss activism trends and Thomson Reuters Practical Law to discuss climate change requirements under the Biden administration. In 2020 and again in 2021, Leza co-hosted Freshfields’ annual post-proxy season event with leading institutional investors to demystify investor views and expectations on sustainability disclosure and reporting requirements with hundreds of public company clients. She also chaired a panel in 2020 at Corporate Board Member’s Boardroom Summit on shareholder activism and engagement trends. She is the co-editor of Freshfields’ annual Board Memo, co-host of our webcast series on governance and disclosure updates and co-host of our governance podcast series. Leza is the only lawyer in the United States ranked as a “Rising Star” for corporate governance and is a key member of the Tier 1 corporate governance group, both as ranked by Legal 500.
- Numerous public company clients on various governance, SEC compliance and disclosure matters, including Agilent Technologies, Alphabet, Akamai Technologies, Allergan, American Express, Applied Materials, Assured Guaranty, BrightView, CarLotz, Cazoo, Clever Leaves, Consolidated Edison, Ciena Corp., Family Dollar Stores, Honeywell, Hyundai, JPMorgan Chase, Li-Cycle, Lowe’s, Ralph Lauren, Resideo Technologies, Sea World, Sonoco, Stanley Black & Decker, Synchrony Financial, Tech Data Corporation, Tempur Sealy, Tiffany & Co., United Natural Foods, Walgreens Boots Alliance and Zymergen.
- Zymergen on its $575 million IPO, listing on Nasdaq and conversion to a public benefit corporation—among the first PBC conversions—and other corporate law matters.
- Cazoo on its $7 billion business combination with SPAC AJAX I.
- Li-Cycle on its $1.67 billion business combination with SPAC Peridot Acquisition Corp.
- CarLotz on its $827 million merger with SPAC Acamar Partners Acquisition Corp.
- Clever Leaves on its business combination with SPAC Schultze Special Purpose Acquisition Corp and other corporate law matters.
- Volkswagen as the largest stockholder of QuantumScape Corporation on QuantumScape’s $3.3 billion business combination with SPAC Kensington Capital Acquisition Corp.
- Stagwell Media on corporate matters related to its combination with MDC Partners.
- Family Dollar on its $9.3 billion merger with Dollar Tree and successful defenses against a hostile tender offer by Dollar General, proxy contest by Elliott Management, threatened consent solicitation by Icahn, activism by Pershing Square and Paulson & Co., and unsolicited takeover proposal by Trian.
- Akamai Technologies on its negotiated settlement with Elliott Management.
- Hyundai Motor Company on the proxy contest by Elliott Management.
- Tiffany & Co. on its negotiated settlement with JANA Partners and Francesco Trapani, as well as other governance matters..
- SeaWorld Entertainment on its negotiated settlement with Hill Path Capital.
Leza holds a J.D. and a B.A. from New York University.