About Catherine Balmond
Catherine is a partner specialising in restructuring and insolvency.
Catherine has over 20 years’ experience advising on complex UK and cross-border transactions in the restructuring and insolvency market across a wide range of sectors. This has included both in court and out of court restructurings/refinancings, security enforcements, pre-packs and other formal insolvency appointments and distressed M&A.
Catherine has acted across the capital structure for all of the key stakeholders including borrowers, financial creditors, pension trustees, insolvency officeholders, security trustees, shareholders and contractual counterparties.
Catherine is qualified as an insolvency practitioner and is Deputy Chairman of the City of London Law Society Insolvency Law Committee. She is also a contributing editor for 'Getting the Deal Through: Restructuring & Insolvency 2022'.
Notable non-confidential transactions include:
- Advising the Malaysia Airlines group on its global restructuring, including the first use of a UK scheme to reduce liabilities under aircraft leases.
- Advising Four Seasons Healthcare in connection with its restructuring.
- Advising BMI Healthcare, one of the largest private hospital groups in the UK, on its recapitalisation and the transfer of ownership to its major landlord.
- Advising Jack Wolfskin, the outdoor wear and equipment producer, on its financial restructuring.
- Advising the lender co-ordinators in relation to a refinancing of the Italian Global Garden Products group implemented by way of an English scheme of arrangement and its subsequent refinancing.
- Advising the Interserve pension trustees.
- Advising the secured lenders, on the restructuring of the debt of Luvata Heat Transfer Solutions including in connection with its sale to a US trade buyer.
- Advising Monarch on its restructuring and subsequently advising the joint administrators of Monarch Airlines and the Monarch travel group.
- Advising a sounding group of lenders in connection with the restructuring of Cortefiel using an English scheme of arrangement.
- Advising East London Bus Company in connection with the sale of its business as part of a prepack administration.
- Advising The Bank of England on various financial institution workouts.
- Downing College, Cambridge University, UK (law)