About Fares Al-Hejailan
Fares is a corporate partner in our global transactions group and head of our Riyadh office. His areas of practice are M&A, corporate and regulatory, with an emphasis on IPOs and securities issues, corporate restructuring, and licensing and capital markets regulations. He also has experience in dispute resolution in Saudi Arabia.
One of the few dual Saudi- and UK-qualified lawyers in Riyadh, Fares’ knowledge of the Saudi business community, society, and political and regulatory landscape gives him an in-depth understanding about what it means for both domestic and international clients doing business in the country.
Fares has particularly good relationships with some of Saudi Arabia’s most powerful regulatory authorities and decision-makers that influence and impact corporate activity in the Kingdom, including the Capital Market Authority, where he was seconded for 18 months. He also has close relationships with other regulators including the Saudi Arabian General Investment Authority and Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- Advising the Abraaj Group and TPG Capital, one of the largest private equity investment firms globally with $66bn of capital under management, on their investment into Kudu, one of Saudi Arabia’s largest restaurant groups (akin to the McDonald’s of Saudi Arabia) with multiple sites and brands across the country. The transaction represented TPG’s debut investment in the Middle East.
- Advising Jadwa Investment Company (Jadwa), the Sharia-compliant Saudi-based investment and financial services firm, and Arab Petroleum Investments Corporation on the acquisition of a majority stake Saudi Mechanical Industries Company and Jadwa on a number of other confidential matters.
- Advising the Saudi Arabian Investment Company, the investment vehicle of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, on its investment in Saudi Arabia’s International Company for Water & Power Projects. The deal also included an investment by Saudi Arabian Public Pension Agency in ACWA Power.
- Advising Al Habib Medical Group Services Holding Company (HMG) and its subsidiaries in respect of HMG's planned IPO. HMG is one of the largest providers of comprehensive healthcare services in the MENA region operating 14 medical facilities across Saudi Arabia, UAE and Bahrain.
- Advising HSBC Saudi Arabia, in its capacity as sole financial adviser, on the M&A and corporate elements of the proposed (subsequently aborted) corporate merger of Saudi International Petrochemical Company with Sahara Petrochemical Company.
- Advising Saudi Telecom Company on the $865m sale of PT Axis Telekom Indonesia to PT XL Axiata TBK.
- Advising Solvay, an international industrial chemical company on its 50/50 joint venture with Sadara Chemical Company for the construction and operation of a hydrogen peroxide plant in Jubail Industrial City, Saudi Arabia.
- Advising Saudi Fransi Capital on the IPO of Saudi Arabian Airlines Catering Unit.
- Advising Saudi Capital Market Authority on: the drafting and implementation of the Saudi Arabian Investment Fund Regulations; its review and amendments to the Saudi Arabian Listing Rules; the drafting and implementation of the future Saudi Arabian Takeover Regulations; and the drafting and implementation of Offers of Securities Regulation, including advising on policy issues and drafting the regulations.
- Advising Sahara Petrochemicals on its SAR1.2bn rights issue on the Tadawul in 2009 and its second SAR1.03bn rights issue on the Tadawul in 2011.